The advanced stage of a fungal infection on the legs appears due to the lack of timely therapy. You can also get this form of the disease if you self-medicate with the help of improperly selected antimycotics. Mycosis, which affects the deep layers of the skin and nails, as well as penetrates the circulatory system, needs to see a doctor immediately. It’s almost impossible to get rid of it on your own.
Rules for dealing with advanced mycosis of the skin and nail plates
Before you begin treatment of a complicated form of fungus localized on the legs, you need to learn some rules of therapy and adhere to them in the future:
- Initially, you need to remove all conditions that contribute to the active reproduction of pathogenic microflora. Factors that accelerate the development of pathogenic spores are uncomfortable shoes, excessive sweating of the feet, low hygiene, wearing synthetic stockings, tights or socks;
- It is necessary to take care of strengthening immunity. Weakened protective functions of the body cannot cope with the infection themselves, because of which it progresses and penetrates into all corners of the body through the circulatory system. It is possible to maintain immunity with the help of vitamins, which are found in fresh vegetables and fruits;
- We must not forget about the disinfection of things and surfaces in the house. The key to a quick recovery from the last stage of the fungus is washing socks, underwear and shoes with White or vinegar, regular wet cleaning in the room with soda;
- Bad habits, such as smoking, alcoholism and drug use, greatly undermine health. Against their background, not only representatives of a fungal infection develop rapidly, but also viruses, bacteria and microbes. Therefore, during treatment, you need to abandon them.
All methods of getting rid of nail fungus and foot skin in an advanced stage
As mentioned above, it is impossible to cope with a severe form of mycosis at home. First of all, you need to visit a mycologist, dermatologist or podologist (a doctor who treats fungus on the legs). Any of the listed specialists will conduct a visual examination of sick feet and prescribe laboratory tests:
- microbiological examination;
- enzyme immunoassay (ELISA) is the main diagnostic procedure for deep mycoses;
- polymerase chain reaction.
Sometimes, in order to make a more accurate diagnosis, the patient is sent immediately to two types of laboratory diagnostics, for example, microbiology and PCR.
After determining the strain of the fungus, its concentration and sensitivity to various types of drugs, the doctor prescribes a therapy regimen.
There are several treatment options for advanced mycosis on the legs, the choice of which depends on which part of the feet is most affected:
- if only the nail plates and the surrounding skin on the fingers are infected, then the patient is sent to a hardware pedicure, to a surgeon or to a laser therapy session, and then begins to use local and oral antimycotic drugs;
- in the case when the fungus has settled in soft tissues and has not yet reached the keratin surface, treatment is limited to potent antimycotics in the form of drugs for external use, tablets and / m, iv or subcutaneous injections;
- with a general severe form of the disease (both the nails and a significant part of the foot are affected), both professional and medical methods are used.
As a complement to any method of treatment, traditional medicine is used. They enhance the effect of drugs, strengthen the immune system, to some extent stop the replication of fungal spores and improve the condition of the lower extremities.
How to cure a very neglected toenail fungus
In severe onychomycosis (the so-called lesion of keratin plates), no antifungal tablets or ointments can help. The only solution is to completely remove the nail. You can do this in a clinic or cosmetology center.
In the medical institution, the client will be offered one of three methods to choose from:
- Surgical intervention. The procedure is too painful and is performed under local anesthesia. The essence of the operation is that the doctor pulls the tourniquet over the finger at its base, injects the painkiller, takes sterile surgical forceps and grabs the edge of the plate with them. Then, with a sharp movement, the nail breaks out. If he partially broke away, then the manipulation with the capture is repeated, and so on until the keratin layer is completely removed. After surgery, the wound is treated with antiseptic solutions and a bandage is applied to the finger;
- Hardware manicure. In this case, the removal of the nail occurs in layers. They do not tear it out, but clean it with a milling cutter with sterile nozzles. Before the procedure, a softening agent is applied to the plate – keratolytic, which makes it supple. Next, the beautician disinfects the nail and the skin around it, and then cuts the keratin layer by layer until the subungual tissue appears. When the plate is completely removed, the finger is treated with an antiseptic and sealed with a tissue patch;
- Laser removal of a diseased nail. This procedure is virtually painless and often does not require the use of anesthetics. It does not last long – from 10 minutes to half an hour. During laser therapy, the nail is destroyed by optical radiation and completely removed from the finger. In parallel, the beam sterilizes soft tissues, killing pathogens in them. Today, laser treatment of onychomycosis in advanced form is the most popular method, but it has a drawback – high cost. In one session, the patient will have to pay about 1,500 rubles.
After eliminating the diseased nail plate, it is necessary to treat the infection and undergo a rehabilitation course. If everything is left to chance, then onychomycosis recurs. The following is a list of recommendations that should be followed by patients during the entire period of growth of the removed nail:
- Do not forget to treat your finger and surrounding soft tissue 2-3 times a day with antimycotic drugs. Typically, patients are prescribed antimycotics such as clotrimazole, mycoseptin, lamisil;
- It is forbidden to steam the feet in the baths with the addition of apple, table and other types of vinegar, poisonous herbs, for example, celandine. They are able to damage the wound remaining after removing the diseased nail (as in the photo below), and cause a strong inflammatory process;
- It is necessary to drink vitamin-mineral complexes and antifungal tablets – Itraconazole, Irunin, Terbinafine or Futsis DT;
- It is important to monitor foot hygiene and protect your fingers from dirt and germs. To do this, make baths with chamomile, calendula, fir needles or nettles. These plants not only kill pathogens, contribute to the regeneration of the nail and surrounding soft tissues, but also remove puffiness, redness of the skin, and also eliminate unpleasant odors.
On average, the growth of a new nail and the complete cure of the fungus, which penetrated into the deep layers of the epidermis under it, takes about 3-4 months. With weak immunity or the presence of chronic diseases, this process can stretch for six months. However, it is worth remembering that no antimycotic agents can be taken for so long. They stop using them as soon as a thin layer of keratin appears on the finger. This usually occurs after 5-6 weeks. You can find out more about the duration of fastening drug therapy from your doctor.
Treatment of chronic foot fungus
Unlike onychomycosis, the advanced form of fungal infection of the skin does not require a visit to a surgeon and a cosmetologist. It can be cured at home, but this one will take a lot of time.
To combat the severe stage of the disease, potent antimycotics of several groups are used:
- tablets for oral administration;
- solutions for injections;
- skin treatment products.
With a chronic fungus, doctors prescribe both injections and oral medications at the same time. They enhance the properties of each other and effectively cope with pathogenic microflora. Preparations for external use are auxiliary. Their use allows you to stop the development of infection in the structure of the epidermis on the feet and start the work of local immunity.
For the treatment of advanced forms of leg mycosis, the following cheap tablet preparations are used:
The list of good and inexpensive injectable solutions includes:
- Retinol (analogue – Radevit Asset);
These drugs are immunostimulants. The list of indications for their use does not indicate that they treat the fungus. However, their use in the treatment of foot mycosis is mandatory, since only a strong immune system can protect against infection recurrence.
In parallel with the administration of tablet antimycotics and the introduction of immunomodulating injections, the legs are treated with antifungal drugs. To combat the advanced stage of the disease, the following topical drugs are suitable:
- Clotrimazole (drops, gel or cream);
To protect nails that have not yet suffered from the activity of pathogens, they are applied medical varnishes. They include substances with an antimycotic effect and components that form a water-repellent film on the surface of the plate. It prevents the penetration of pathogenic spores into the keratin structure and protects it from germs and bacteria.
Supplementation of drug therapy for skin fungus
To enhance the effect of antimycotics, regardless of their form of release, doctors allow the use of folk remedies:
- Healing baths. Feet are steamed daily at bedtime in warm water with the addition of iodine or ammonia (ammonia) – 10 ml of antiseptic per 3 liters of liquid. After the procedure, the feet need to be cleaned with pumice;
- Compresses. A good adjuvant in the treatment of a severe form of the fungus will be to wet the cut of gauze in hydrogen peroxide, a strong broth of celandine, or in Iodinol, diluted in half with water. The fabric is wound on the foot, and then put on a sock. Compresses are done at night, in the morning rinsing the feet with clean water;
- Propolis tincture. 50 g of the beekeeping product is melted in a water bath and mixed with alcohol in a glass jar. Then the container is put in a warm place for 15 days. The finished infusion is wiped on the feet every time before applying antifungal drugs.
How to cure a running nail and skin fungus
If a person affects both the nail plates and the epidermis, then he needs to combine a trip to a cosmetology or medical center where the keratin layer will be removed using medications. In this case, all the treatment options described above are suitable. However, the final method of therapy is selected by the doctor based on the results of the tests and the patient’s health status.
Alternative methods of alternative medicine can also be used:
- Soar your feet in a soda or salt bath;
- Wipe the plates and skin with a cotton swab dipped in essential oil of tea tree, rosemary or bergamot;
- Lubricate the feet with vitriol, diluted floors with water, or an ointment of protein from chicken eggs, red pepper and iodine based on liquid paraffin;
- Make compresses from decoctions of medicinal herbs (any plants with an antiseptic property will do).
Reviews on the treatment of advanced mycosis on the legs
Elena, 24 years old.
I got a fungus on my toes a year and a half ago. At first I did not pay attention to the plate modification, and then, when it began to exfoliate, I was going to go to a dermatologist, but due to the busy work schedule, the visit to the doctor was postponed.
As a result, everything started to such an extent that the nail made it impossible to wear shoes without pain. I had to leave everything and go to the hospital. After the tests, I was assigned to remove the plate with a laser and a comprehensive drug treatment.
Ivan, 32 years old.
Mycosis of the nails on the hands and feet is a constant problem that has been haunting me for 10 years. He was treated with everything possible: by conspiracy, folk remedies, expensive drugs – nothing helps. Even laser therapy has not yielded results. After the operation, the nail grows back and starts to deteriorate again.
Sveta, 45 years old.
My daughter got skin fungus on her legs that month. In order not to start the disease, I gave her baths, anointed her feet with Chlorhexidine and gave more fresh plant foods. We were lucky, the disease disappeared in just 2 weeks. Now she drinks decoctions of herbs and wipes her feet with cotton wool soaked in peroxide.