Onychomycosis – damage to the nail plate by a fungal infection. It often takes months to treat it. But, if you start therapy at the first stage of the disease, then the prognosis is quite favorable. Its basis is the use of local funds with an antifungal effect. It can be both pharmaceutical preparations, and improvised products, for example vinegar. It stops the vital activity of the pathogen of mycosis, prevents its spread to healthy areas and gradually returns to its nails the former state.
Types and properties of vinegar
Acetic essence is widely used in cooking and everyday life. It has many varieties and all of them are suitable for the fight against onychomycosis.
Fungal spores are afraid of acid. It has a detrimental effect on their ability to replicate and spread to healthy nails, and due to a lack of nutrients, pathogenic cells quickly die. It is this property that allows the use of vinegar for home treatment of the fungus.
The essence also has a local antiseptic effect, kills microbes, which prevents the attachment of a secondary infection to the underlying disease.
When treating fungus with vinegar, it is important to observe the correct proportions of the components, especially when working with highly concentrated essence (70%). If the therapeutic solutions based on it are improperly prepared, a severe chemical burn may occur, which will significantly aggravate the situation with sore nails. Therefore, it must first be diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 4.
Types of vinegar used to combat onychomycosis at home:
- beer house;
All these varieties differ from each other in the raw materials from which they are obtained. The most common and cheapest vinegar is apple and table. The second, unlike all other species, is a product of synthetic origin. It is less beneficial for the body.
Preparation of the nail plate
An important step in the treatment of nail fungus is the preparation of affected plates. It is necessary for better penetration of nutrients into the deep layers of dense tissues directly to the nail bed.
This will require:
- Steam the feet in hot water for 15 minutes;
- Cut off the free edge and loose surface of the nail with a disposable file. This will help remove a significant layer of keratin, which is a breeding ground for spores and simplify the penetration of antifungal agents into it;
- Rinse feet with warm water and laundry soap and wipe dry. Particular attention must be paid to the interdigital zones.
After you can start applying to the nails of medical solutions, ointments, compresses.
How to use vinegar for toenail fungus
Traditional medicine often uses this useful product in the treatment of dermatological diseases, including onychomycosis. It quickly destroys pathogenic spores, but if used improperly, it can cause a chemical burn. In order not to burn the skin around the nail, it is recommended to lubricate it in advance with a fat cream, petroleum jelly or vegetable oil.
Steaming feet is an integral part of the treatment of fungal infections. This is necessary to easily and quickly remove the thickened, delaminated surface and the free edge of the plate. To prepare the solution, you will need hot water in which it will be comfortable to keep your legs for 15-30 minutes. It is desirable to maintain the temperature of the entire steaming session by adding boiling water as the solution cools.
The container used for foot baths must be washed with laundry soap or disinfectants after each use.
Recipes for bath mixtures that help to easily remove onychomycosis:
- A celandine vinegar tandem is the fastest way to get rid of the disease. To prepare the treatment solution, you need to purchase a package of dried herbs in a pharmacy, mix it with 2 liters of apple or 1 liter of table vinegar (9%) and leave it in a cool dark place for 30 days to insist. Then the solution is filtered. Next, it is necessary to dilute 5 tbsp. l sea or table salt. The mixture is stored with the lid closed. For a bath, 0.2 l of medicine is poured into a small container and diluted with hot water, 1-1.5 l is enough. Foot soars no more than 5-7 minutes. After this, it is advisable to let them dry on their own;
- It is necessary to add 50-70 ml of vinegar and 1 tbsp. In 1 liter of hot water. l baking soda. Feet are kept in the bath for 20-30 minutes;
- For 1 liter of water you need to take 1 tbsp. l hydrogen peroxide, 2-3 tbsp. l 9% vinegar. The feet soar in solution for 30-40 minutes;
- Water is mixed with apple 9% vinegar in equal proportions. Feet descend into the bath for 30-60 minutes. After the procedure, the mixture is not washed off.
It is possible to use vinegar in the form of solutions for compresses if there are no ulcers and severe inflammation of the skin around the nail. Otherwise, a deterioration of the epidermis and the development of a deep chemical burn are possible.
Recipes for onychomycosis compresses:
- Soak a piece of gauze, folded in several layers, with vinegar, sprinkle abundantly with soda and apply to the affected nail. Cover with oilcloth and fix with a bandage for 3-4 hours. Perhaps a slight burning sensation due to the chemical reaction of alkali with acid. Such a compress is done once every 2 days. If you experience unpleasant sensations, you must remove it and wash your feet with soap and water;
- Mix 1 liter of water with 1 tbsp. l sea salt, 2 tbsp. l vinegar. Soak a cotton swab with this solution, apply to the nail plate, cover with polyethylene. To put on a dense sock from above. The procedure is performed at night;
- Combine 1 tsp. alcohol solution of iodine and apple cider vinegar. Treat the nail with a solution, cover with a piece of bandage and stick it with adhesive plaster for 2-4 hours;
- Mix vinegar in equal proportions with any vegetable oil: sea buckthorn, sunflower, olive. Soak cotton swabs with liquid, apply to a sore spot. Cover everything with a film and fix it with a bandage in several layers. Oil will soften the aggressive effect of the acid, and the greenhouse effect will enhance its healing properties. Leave a compress for 4 hours;
- Combine 3 chicken proteins (raw), 2 tbsp. l vinegar, vodka or diluted medical alcohol. Stir the mixture until smooth. Apply with a thick layer on cotton pads and fix on sick areas overnight;
- A small head of garlic is peeled and crushed to a mushy state. Add a glass of apple cider vinegar to it and insist for two weeks in a dark, cool place. The solution is copiously applied to the nails, covered with polyethylene, wrapped in several layers of gauze or bandage at night;
- It is necessary to mix 2 tsp. 70% alcohol and vinegar 6 percent 1 tsp. glycerin. Soak a cotton swab with the mixture and apply to the affected areas for 15-20 minutes 4-5 times a day.
You can quickly recover from vinegar with a fungus using self-made ointments based on it. To make an effective home remedy, you need to take the following ingredients: 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar, eucalyptus oil extract, 1 tbsp. l honey, 2-3 elderly leaves of Kalanchoe. Mix all the ingredients in a glass dish, after passing the leaves through a meat grinder. Insist under a closed lid for 3 days. Nails need to be processed 2-3 times a day until a healthy plate is fully grown.
Another famous recipe is egg ointment. To prepare it, you will need a fresh chicken egg, which must be placed in a glass, after washing well, and pour vinegar. After 7-10 days, when the shell dissolves, drain the liquid and add soft butter 200 g. Stir until smooth. Remove the top layer of the nail and apply the ointment, cover with a film on top and fix it overnight.
In order for the treatment of the fungus with vinegar to be successful, care must be taken to prevent re-infection. This can be done by observing the following prevention rules:
- In public places with an increased risk of infection, it is imperative to wear replaceable rubber shoes, which should be washed thoroughly after each visit with laundry soap and wiped with table vinegar;
- After going to the gym, sports shoes dry well;
- It is necessary to change socks daily;
- You can not use other people's household items, manicure tools, shoes, things;
- After bathing or taking a shower, the feet are always thoroughly wiped dry, especially between the toes;
- It is important to monitor the health and condition of the immune system. The fungus “loves” people with reduced protective functions of the body;
- In slushy weather, shoes must be dried;
- After going to public places, you need to wash your hands and feet with laundry or tar soap;
- You should choose high-quality comfortable shoes, preferably from natural and breathable materials.
Shoe processing methods
Even if it was possible to cure the fungus, it is enough to put on your shoes to get infected again. Therefore, during treatment, it is important to regularly sanitize shoes.
- Wash the inside of the shoe every day with soap and water and wipe it with high concentration table vinegar after drying;
- Dilute the vinegar essence with water 1: 1. Wash shoes with soap and put cotton swabs soaked in solution in the nose. Pack each boot in a tight plastic bag and tie it well so that there is no access to oxygen. Leave the shoes like this for a day. After that, get a tampon, let the product dry and ventilate in the open air.
Valentine, 46 years old.
Cured the fungus on the toenail with vinegar and iodine. I mixed them in a small bottle in equal proportions. Applied daily morning and evening. It was necessary to treat for a long time, about 6 months, but without adverse reactions.
Ivan, 53 years old.
My fungus was running. I did not immediately notice, and when the whole nail turned yellow, he went to the hospital. He was prescribed medication and was advised to soar his feet in acetic acid to speed up this process. After the bath he applied the cream, and soon the old, sick nail fell off.
Inga, 24 years old.
After going to the salon, I noticed spots on the nails. I immediately ran to the clinic, it turned out that it was a fungus at the initial stage. It turned out that I have a terrible allergy to many antifungal ointments. I had to look for an alternative treatment. The compresses with vinegar helped.