Naftifin is a substance from the class of allylamines that was synthesized in 1974. Scientists of the Austrian laboratory Sandoz Research Institute were engaged in this. After some time, other well-known pharmacological companies began to manufacture naftifin-based medicines. On sale, in addition to the drug of the same name, other drugs appeared containing the same active ingredient, which are still used by dermatologists in the treatment of various fungal infections.
What is naftifin
Naftifin is a component with anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties. The substance is used to combat dermatophytes, mold and yeast. Depending on the pathogen, it prevents pathogenic cells from multiplying or kills them. For some yeast strains, the fungistatic action of naphthyne is observed. Against mold and dermatophytes, it works as a fungicide.
The mechanism of action of the component:
- in contact with the cells of the pathogen blocks the production of an enzyme called "squalene epoxidase";
- this leads to inhibition of ergosterol biosynthesis;
- due to the lack of this substance inside the fungal membrane, the pathogen begins to break down.
This feature of naftifin is especially pronounced under neutral pH conditions.
Another substance has a bactericidal effect against gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms. For example, it is suitable for the treatment of pyoderma. In combination with corticosteroids, the component exhibits pronounced anti-inflammatory and vasoconstrictive properties.
Medicines of various forms of release on the basis of naftifin are used locally. They easily penetrate the skin and nails, while less than 6% of the substance that is excreted in the form of metabolites after three days enters the bloodstream. Naftifin almost immediately begins to accumulate to the desired therapeutic concentration, thanks to which it is possible not only to cure mycosis, but also to protect itself from it after the end of the course of treatment.
The following are drugs that are identical to Naftifin in composition and principle of action.
Exoderil is especially popular among naphthyphine hydrochloride-based products. The medicine is produced by Austrian and American pharmaceutical companies in the form of a cream and solution. The liquid form of the drug is sold in glass bottles of 10 and 20 ml. A cream of one percent concentration is packed in tubes of aluminum weighing 30 or 15 g.
Both variants of Exoderil have a fungicidal and fungistatic effect. Since the medication was created from naftifin, it is prescribed for the fight against mycotic infection caused by dermatophytosis, yeast, mold, and candida.
Exoderil cream is used to treat skin, mainly foot mycoses. Also, the drug is suitable for the treatment of pityriasis versicolor and candidiasis. The solution is relevant for the treatment of a fungus that affects the scalp, auricles and nail plates. Since the drugs are used exclusively locally, contraindications are limited by individual sensitivity to their composition.
Exoderil cream is applied to the skin once a day, additionally treating adjacent healthy tissues. Dermatomycosis is required to be treated from two to four weeks, but the doctor can, if necessary, extend the course to 2 months. If Exoderil is used for nail fungus, the cream is applied to pre-steamed plates twice a day.
The solution is applied to the affected areas 1-2 drops once a day. With a running fungus, this form of the drug is used in the morning and evening. In the first case, the average duration of treatment is two months, and in the second from 3 to 5.
In the cream and the solution of Exoderil the same content of naphthyne – 1%. From nail fungus, it is recommended to use a liquid form. With foot mycoses affecting the skin and plates, you can use both a solution and a cream.
The price of a small package of the drug is about 530 rubles. The medicine belongs to expensive antimycotics, but patient reviews suggest that its cost is fully justified by its high effectiveness.
The Russian company Vertex produces one form of a drug containing naphthyne called Exostat. This is a 1% solution for local use. It is a colorless or yellowish liquid, which, in addition to the main active component, consists of propylene glycol, ethanol and water. Vertex OA delivers the drug to pharmacies in dark bottles with a 10, 15 and 20 ml dropper stopper. 10 ml of naphthyne hydrochloride per 1 ml of solution.
The instructions indicate that exostat is indicated for:
- epidermophytosis of large areas of the skin;
- pityriasis versicolor;
- epidermophytosis of the feet;
- secondary mycoses complicated by the presence of bacteria.
The dosage of the drug is selected by the doctor individually based on the results of the tests. The minimum duration of therapy is two weeks, the maximum is six months. Exostat may cause local dryness, burning, and redness. The drug is contraindicated in case of individual intolerance to the composition. Allowed its use during pregnancy.
The initial cost of Exostat solution is 360 rubles.
Terbinafine – an effective substitute for naphthyne
The cheapest analogue of drugs with naphthyne is Terbinafine. It is produced by a Russian pharmaceutical company in the form of tablets, ointments, cream and spray. According to the mechanism of action, the active component, which is terbinafine hydrochloride, is a complete analogue of naftifine. It has the same characteristics and a similar principle of action.
Tablets weighing 250 mg are at risk and beveled, painted in yellowish white or pure white. The medicine is sold in a cardboard box of 7 or 10 pieces. Creams and ointments are produced in a one percent concentration of the active substance with a pronounced smell of alcohol. Indications for use are similar to naftifin, that is, they include diseases provoked by mold, yeast and dermatophytes. Terbinafine is also suitable for the treatment of onychomycosis.
Creams and ointments have no prohibitions on use. The tablet form has several contraindications:
- bearing a child and the period of breastfeeding;
- individual intolerance to the composition;
- children's age less than three years or body weight up to 20 kg.
10 tablets of Terbinafine cost from 210 rubles. You can buy a cream package for 80 rubles. The cost of the spray starts from 300 rubles.
Other remedies for fungus
In the pharmacy you can find a lot of medicine for nail and skin fungus, produced by different pharmaceutical companies. Below are the most popular ones:
- Misal from Evalar is made in the form of a gel and solution. Manufacturer – Pharmtek. The drug belongs to medical cosmetics, which contains natural ingredients and helps to cope with the fungus at different stages of the disease. Some doctors say that you should not expect a quick result from him. Misol, in their opinion, can help get rid of infection only as part of complex therapy. The price in pharmacies is up to 300 rubles;
- Often, instead of treating nails, patients are advised to completely remove them. In such situations, ointments are used that soften the plate and contribute to its rejection. Miko-stop based on bifonazole is especially popular. It penetrates the plate, makes it malleable, promotes a soft departure from the nail bed and improves local blood circulation to accelerate the formation of new keratin cells. The cost of Miko-Stop – 250-350 rubles;
- Chloronitrophenol-based Nitrofungin is an antifungal agent for skin fungus. The medication is prescribed for the treatment of candidiasis, foot mycosis, trichophytosis and rubrophyte. You can also instill Nitrofungin in the ear in case of damage to the external auditory canal. The medicine is dangerous for healthy skin and internal organs, so they are used with caution. The cost of a bottle of solution (25 ml) is an average of 300 rubles;
- Medications in the form of varnishes are distinguished by a convenient method of use in the treatment of nail fungus. Their assortment is varied, but the most popular drug called “Batrafen”. It is made on the basis of cyclopirox olamine. The varnish has an 8% concentration and looks like a clear, colorless liquid. Available in a glass bottle with a brush, inside of which is 3 or 6 g of the drug. The cost of this varnish from the fungus reaches 2500 rubles.
Nina, 40 years old.
Smeared on the nails drug Miko deril. The result had to wait a very long time. The drug is expensive, and the amount of medicine is small, the full course is not enough.
Anna, 29 years old.
I used Oflomil varnish for about a month. Without taking antifungal pills, no result was achieved. I think that he only varnishes sick nails, that is, he simply masks the symptoms of the disease.