The fungus can settle on any part of the body, but most often it affects the skin of the feet. This is due to the wearing of shoes, which is ventilated much worse than clothes. Even the legs sweat heavily, and blood circulation in them is often slowed down, especially in the elderly and people with chronic diseases. All this creates excellent conditions for the propagation of pathogenic fungi. About 70% of people have experienced mycosis at least once in their life, and in 20% it exists in a persistent form. To get rid of the fungus, you first need to recognize it and identify the type of pathogen. After the disease can be treated at home.
How does the fungus on the legs look and manifest
Fungal diseases are called mycoses. Dermatomycosis, a skin fungus, or onychomycosis, damage to the nails, can develop on the legs. Often they combine, as the infection spreads rapidly to nearby areas.
The frequency of occurrence of different pathogens is distributed as follows:
- In 80-90% of cases, the disease is caused by dermatophytes. There are many varieties of these parasitic fungi: trichophytons, epidermophytons, etc. These fungi are easy to get infected when visiting public places, because their spores live in the environment for a long time, especially at high humidity;
- In 5-10%, lesions with yeast-like microflora are found. The disease is characteristic of people with reduced immunity and sweating, since Candida fungi are conditionally pathogenic and have been living in the human body since its birth;
- With approximately the same frequency as candidiasis, mycosis caused by molds occurs. They usually affect the big toes in people over 60;
- In the analysis, several pathogens are often detected, even from different groups. At the same time, mixed infections give a difficult clinical picture, therefore, diagnosis is mandatory – it will make it possible to choose the drugs suitable for treatment.
The fungus on the legs looks different. Sometimes it can be determined at a glance. However, the erased forms can be masked by other diseases and conditions:
- eczema, psoriasis, neurodermatitis;
- onychodystrophy (changes in nails as a result of a violation of trophic processes);
- nail injuries;
- bacterial infections;
- ichthyosis and others.
This is the second important reason why you need to see a doctor to make a final diagnosis.
Symptoms of Mycosis
Common symptoms characteristic of mycoses:
- itching, worse in the evening;
- unpleasant sweet smell from the legs, independent of hygiene measures;
- peeling and exfoliation of the skin;
- white floury coating;
- small bursting watery vesicles;
- cracks between the fingers, on the heels;
- discoloration of the nail plates, the appearance of spots on them, stripes;
- thickening or, conversely, thinning of nails;
- crumbling and destruction of nails.
Forms of the disease
The forms, that is, the appearance of the fungal infection, depend on the pathogen, the stage of the disease and the characteristics of the patient's body. Determined by clinical manifestations:
- Interdigital erosion. Most often occurs with sweating feet, wearing tight shoes, flat feet, excess weight. Between 3, 4 and 5 toes of the foot appear painful cracks, areas of redness. The skin exfoliates with large flakes. There is slight itching between the fingers;
- Moccasin-like shape. In another name, "athlete's foot." More common in men. The defeat affects the sole and lateral parts of the foot. The skin peels off, peels off, dries. On the soles it coarsens, cracks. With a long-existing disease, the nails change – they become dull, yellowish, crumble;
- Vesicular-pustular form (dyshidrotic). It is characterized by a predominance of bubbles with liquid. When they burst, sores form. Often, due to the large area of the wounds, a bacterial infection joins, suppuration occurs. The disease is accompanied by itching, pain, swelling. Sometimes the body temperature even rises;
- Hyperkeratolytic form. It manifests itself as a thickening of the stratum corneum. Furrows appear on the feet, the skin pattern deepens, the color changes to grayish-yellow. Thick soles and cracks appear on the soles and sides. Peeling is usually small, inconspicuous;
- Worn out form. Clinical signs of the disease are implicit. Usually there is a small flour-like peeling, which many take for dry skin. However, it does not pass from the use of nutritious creams. Sometimes a slight itching occurs, the legs smell unpleasant.
Foot fungus treatment
Fungicidal preparations for external and internal use are intended for the treatment of skin mycoses. If the disease at the initial stage does not affect the nails, it can be easily cured with an ointment, cream, solution, which can be bought at any pharmacy.
The main antimycotics:
- imidazole derivatives (clotrimazole, bifonazole);
- triazole derivatives (fluconazole, itraconazole);
- allylamines (teribinafine, naphthyne).
On their basis, both expensive, advertised products are produced, as well as cheap. Prices can vary dozens of times, so you can ask the doctor to name alternative options if he has prescribed an expensive medicine.
Traditional methods of treating mycosis
Up to 50% of patients with mycosis try to be treated with folk remedies. The reasons are different – from the desire to save money to the unwillingness to see a doctor with a “shameful" sore. Some products traditionally used for fungus really help fight infection, but you need to choose them wisely and not wait for the impossible.
Features of folk recipes:
- It is required to apply them for a long time and regularly – there will not be a quick result;
- It is important to consider possible allergic reactions, individual sensitivity and intolerance to the components;
- Do not trust the healers who say that it is possible to cure nail or skin fungus in one application of some kind of alternative medicine. Getting rid of the disease is instantly unrealistic.
Natural vinegar, apple or wine, helps to remove the foot fungus due to a change in the skin's Ph. Dermatophytes love alkaline environments, so vinegar is harmful to them. For treatment, baths are used with the addition of 6 or 9% vinegar (3 tablespoons per 1 liter of hot water). The legs are kept in them for 15-20 minutes, then they are thoroughly dried with a towel (it is changed every day). Repeat the bath every day before going to bed for two weeks.
Baking soda is useful for candidiasis, since yeast-like fungi prefer a slightly acidic environment. For a therapeutic bath in 1 liter of hot water add 2 tbsp. l soda and 1 tsp. iodine. Another recipe: 2 tbsp. l soda and 1 tbsp. l sea salt. After the bath, you need to rinse your feet with clean water.
The tannins, astringents of the oak bark condense the upper layer of the skin and the fungi cannot penetrate deeper. But its value is not limited to this. Oak bark has the following medicinal properties:
- reduce sweating.
For daily baths 6 tbsp. l the bark is poured into 500 ml of boiling water, boiled for 30 minutes in a water bath and added to 1 liter of warm water. Keep feet for 20 minutes.
For prevention, such baths are done once a month, which allows you to forget about the fungus, sweating feet, cracks in the heels.
This is a universal cosmetic and therapeutic product that can be used for various purposes, including in the fight against fungus. It has the following properties:
- wound healing;
Oil can be purchased at pharmacies, online stores. Such companies produce it:
- LLC Natural oils;
- Aspera LLC and others.
The product is inexpensive. A 50 ml vial costs about 70-150 rubles.
You can prepare the therapeutic composition yourself from dry raw materials. For this, 250 g of grass is poured into 0.5 l of oil, kept in a water bath for 1 hour. Then insist in a dark place for 3 weeks, filter and clean in the refrigerator.
The oil is applied to clean, dry feet, nails rubbing slightly, leave for 20 minutes. The residues get wet with paper towels. Clean socks are put on top. The procedure is carried out once a day for two weeks.
With interdigital erosion, pieces of cotton wool can be moistened in oil and laid between the fingers overnight.
Onychomycosis in the initial stage is treated with compresses. Part of the cotton pad soaked in oil is applied to the previously treated nail (steamed, peeled). A fingertip is put on top. The compress is left overnight.
Tea tree oil
Another product that helps to quickly get rid of fungus on the legs and unpleasant odor. For treatment, you must use 100% essential oil. It is better to dilute it yourself, because purchased cosmetic or massage oil may contain too low a concentration of the desired product.
Tea tree is used in the same way as celandine, after diluting the essential oil with base oil (olive, coconut or others) in a ratio of 1 to 3. For preventive purposes, it is recommended to add it to the foot baths (10 drops per liter of water).
Effective, but unpleasantly smelling and unsafe remedy for fungus. Garlic juice is very caustic, with careless handling it can get severe burns. In addition, the aroma of this plant is very persistent, it does not weather for a long time. However, being on sick leave or on vacation, you can try the following folk recipe:
- Mix in equal proportions freshly squeezed garlic juice, medical alcohol and water;
- Insist in a warm dark place for two days;
- Apply to clean feet for 15 minutes, then rinse with cool water;
- Repeat the procedure twice a day for at least a week.
The easiest way to use garlic from onychomycosis is to apply its juice with a cotton swab to prepared nails, avoiding skin contact. This procedure is carried out before bedtime, in the morning it is washed off with water.
Reviews on the treatment of foot fungus folk methods
Vladimir, 30 years old.
It is strange that nothing is written about tar soap. It helped me from a fungus. Half a grate should be grated and dissolved in water. Lower your legs for half an hour. The first day my skin fell off in pieces, I took it off with my hands, sometimes rubbing with pumice. After a week, the legs were pink, healthy, like a baby's. Only then you need to smear with hand cream, the soap dries strongly.
Galina, 56 years old.
From the fungus between the fingers, I made the following composition: glycerin and acetic acid 1: 1. Glycerin is sold in pharmacies, it is cheap. There the bottle is incomplete, you can pour vinegar directly into it and shake it. Lubricated it between the fingers every day, after a week the cracks healed.
Zlata, 44 years old.
Many drugs are not allowed for children, because their skin is thin, delicate. Therefore, for kids from a fungus, it is good to apply gruel from raw potatoes. It relieves itching and heals comb, but it takes a long time to heal, about a month.