The fungus localized in the heel area is a very unpleasant phenomenon, as it causes severe pain during walking. At every step, a person feels discomfort, namely aching, sometimes even cutting pain. Over time, the affected skin cracks, wounds appear on it. Therefore, the fungus on the heels should be treated at the first sign, otherwise it will interfere with the normal lifestyle. This can be done both with medical and non-traditional methods. You can also combine pharmacological therapy with home remedies. So the effectiveness of treatment will increase significantly.
Causes and symptoms
Foot fungus is a dermatological disease caused by parasitic microorganisms. It is transmitted from the patient to healthy through household contacts, through underwear, shoes, and common objects. You can still get the disease when you visit public pools, baths, saunas, etc. But if a person has strong immunity, the fungus does not activate and its symptoms do not appear. In the presence of adverse factors, the growth and spread of pathogenic microorganisms begins.
Factors that increase the chances of infection with a foot fungus:
- neglect of hygiene rules;
- frequent prolonged wearing of shoes (this creates a moist environment that promotes the growth of bacteria and pathogen spores);
- the use of other people's underwear, towels, socks;
- the use of non-sterile pedicure tools;
- increased sweating feet.
Mainly damage to the skin of the legs with mycosis contributes to a decrease in the protective functions of the body. This happens in the autumn-spring periods, when vitamin deficiency, epidemics of acute respiratory infections begins. In addition, disorders of the nervous system and viral diseases affect the decrease in immunity.
Types of pathology
The heel fungus has various symptoms. There are three types of disease development in total:
- dyshidrotic (with the formation of moisture);
- intertriginous (scaly);
- hyperkeratotic (with thickening of the skin).
The first type of disease is characterized by the appearance of small papules filled with fluid. Soon after the appearance, they are torn, abscesses form in their place. They cause severe pain.
Other symptoms of this type of fungus:
- numerous damage to the capillaries, which leads to redness of the dermis;
- the skin is very flaky, dead scales form entire layers;
- the lesion itches, begins to crack;
- there is a bad smell;
- the soles swell completely or in patches.
In rare cases, the temperature rises, there is a general malaise.
The second type of mycosis of the heels is the most common. It is considered a lighter form compared to the rest. In the first stage, itching between the toes begins. Peeling occurs (the appearance of flakes). If the disease does not progress, it does not cause much inconvenience.
If you ignore the problem, the fungus affects the entire sole. The foot begins to itch strongly, cracks appear. When combing from the skin under the nails, small scales remain – dead tissue. Further, the upper layers of the dermis become more dense, change their shade to yellowish. In a neglected form, cracking of the skin occurs, which causes severe pain.
Mycosis of the heels of a hyperkeratous type passes with a strong seal of the dermis. Soles become very coarse, thick. Heels are covered with dry cracks. Visually, the foot looks like sprinkled with flour, due to the numerous keratinized particles of skin. Getting rid of this form of the disease is quite difficult.
You can see how mycosis of the heels looks in the photo below. The pictures show some types of disease in various stages.
Fungal diagnosis and treatment methods
At the first signs of mycosis, it is better to consult a doctor to determine the type of disease and prescribe adequate treatment. A dermatologist conducts a visual examination of the affected area, takes a piece of skin for analysis. In laboratory conditions, the type of virus is determined by a biological sample.
According to the results of medical research, the doctor makes a conclusion and prescribes medication. For the treatment of the disease, the following is used:
- local remedies (ointments, solutions, etc.);
- medical hardware procedures;
- folk remedies.
Local medicines are used to treat the initial stage of the disease, as well as in combination with tablet preparations for severe forms of mycoses.
Before applying the medicine to the affected skin, it should be processed. First, make a foot bath using soda, vinegar, essential oils, glycerin. After steaming, the coarsened skin is removed with pedicure tools. Then apply the antimycotic drug in accordance with the instructions.
Effective creams and ointments for heel fungus:
- Clotrimazole. Imidazole-based antifungal agent. Destroys the cell membranes of fungi, because of which they die. A drug with a wide spectrum of action. Affects all types of pathogens;
- Terbinafine. A powerful antimycotic drug of the allylamine group. Available in the form of ointment and cream. It has a fungicidal effect on dermatophytes, mold, yeast-like microorganisms;
- Tinedol. An effective remedy against mycosis on the heels and nails. Kills all known types of fungi. The effect after application appears immediately. Ointment prevents the spread of infection, prevents re-infection;
- Tolnaftatovy ointment. It is used for the treatment of fungal diseases. For deep skin lesions, it is recommended as an adjuvant. The active substance is tolnaftate;
- Nomidol. An antifungal drug that contains natural oils. In addition to the antiviral, it has a bactericidal effect. Oils soothe and restore the skin;
- Salicylic ointment. A good inexpensive remedy for the treatment of skin lesions. It produces a cauterizing and drying effect. Its price in a pharmacy is 25 rubles;
- Bifosin. It is used for mycosis of the feet, nail plates. It copes with most strains of bacteria. Available in the form of a cream, spray, solution;
- Vishnevsky ointment. Strong antiviral drug. The composition contains castor oil, birch tar. These substances kill the fungus, improve skin condition.
The principle of use of antimycotic drugs is the same. A thin layer of ointment is applied to the cleaned skin of the legs. After the agent is completely absorbed, put on socks made of cotton fibers. It is better to carry out this procedure at night. The course of treatment is from 10 days to two months.
Antifungal drugs in tablets have a high concentration of active substances. They are used in advanced cases when treatment with ointments is ineffective. These are usually broad-spectrum antibiotics or antimycotics.
Popular pills for foot fungus:
Tablets contain active substances of synthetic origin. It is also worth remembering that these drugs have a large list of contraindications and side effects. Before starting therapy, you need to make sure that there are no restrictions on taking the drug.
This method of treating heel fungus is carried out using a therapeutic pedicure procedure. Processing of the foot is carried out by a device with special nozzles. You can only go through a hardware control session against pathogenic microflora only in a clinic or cosmetology center. A dermatologist appoints such procedures.
Therapeutic pedicure includes:
- skin disinfection with antiseptics;
- softening of keratinized areas with special solutions;
- cutting off coarse skin, elimination of corns and other coarse growths;
- peeling soles;
- grinding heels.
After removing compacted and flaky skin layers from the foot, the doctor applies antifungal agents. At the end of the session, the patient is given a massage to accelerate blood flow. This helps to enhance the regenerative properties of the skin.
To improve the effectiveness of the treatment, the treatment of the feet with herbs and oils is used. On the basis of decoctions of medicinal plants make baths and compresses. For the manufacture of compounds used leaves and flowers of chamomile, calendula, St. John's wort. The addition of essential oils of tea tree, eucalyptus accelerates the skin regeneration process, softens and nourishes it.
Antifungal baths based on vinegar, soda, iodine have disinfecting properties, kill microbes. Procedures with their use help to stop the inflammatory process, stop the symptoms of mycosis. The recipes for using these home remedies are simple. You need to dilute 3-4 tablespoons of soda in hot water, add 4-5 drops of iodine or vinegar. Legs are kept for 20-25 minutes. Then cleaned with pumice, treated with a healing cream.
Glycerin with vinegar has a beneficial effect on the skin condition. The substances are stirred in a ratio of 3: 1. Vinegar is taken table or apple. It is necessary to lubricate the heels with a solution, wait 15 minutes, then rinse the feet, treat with antimycotic ointment.
Daniela, 34 years old.
Manifestations of the fungus on the legs can be confused with other diseases, for example, hyperkeratosis. Therefore, as soon as the first signs of discomfort are felt, you should immediately go to the doctor. My husband had a fungus on his heels for a long time. At first I ignored the symptoms, when the pain started, I went to the dermatologist.
By that time, the skin had already cracked, it was very painful to walk. The doctor prescribed Lamisil, a good, effective remedy. Additionally, it was necessary to do baths with soda and iodine before applying the ointment.
After steaming, keratinized skin from the heels was cut off each time. It will be necessary to tinker, but without this, getting rid of the fungus is unrealistic. All microbes live in these layers and multiply. I had to throw out my socks, sanitize shoes and bedding. The spores of the fungus remain in everything that the legs touch. Without these measures, therapy will drag on for a long time, maybe even for years. But we managed to cure mycosis completely in three months.
Inna, 27 years old.
Somehow my skin on the heels began to peel off. Scratched, especially at night. I decided that I picked up the fungus. I know that it is impossible to delay treatment, otherwise it will be impossible to walk later. But if you start treatment immediately, you can quickly get rid of all the symptoms.
Started making baths with sea salt and soda. Twice a day, morning and evening. After the procedure, you must definitely walk along the soles of a pumice stone. Remove dead skin so that the fungus does not multiply. She smeared the heels with salicylic ointment at night. After two weeks, the symptoms of the disease completely disappeared.