Mycosis of the feet is an unpleasant disease caused by pathogenic fungi. It is characterized by severe itching, diaper rash, destruction of the nail plate and discomfort when walking. In addition, the pathogenic microflora, which is the causative agent of mycosis, is very contagious. She quickly moves from a sick person to a healthy person and it is extremely difficult to defend against her. To protect your loved ones from the fungus of the foot and to get rid of the infection yourself, you need to choose the right medicines, both oral and local.
Drug therapy of foot fungus
The range of antimycotic drugs is divided into two categories:
- tablets for oral administration;
- local remedies (creams, sprays and gels).
Each of them includes drugs that differ from each other not only in composition, but also in the duration of use, price and degree of effectiveness.
It is difficult for a person without a medical education to make the right choice. Therefore, before you begin to fight mycosis, you need to find out which antifungal drugs could combine two qualities – effectiveness and reasonable price.
Oral medication for fungus
Preparations for oral administration with an antimycotic property are the basis for a comprehensive treatment of foot fungus. While topical drugs remove the symptoms of mycosis and destroy pathogen spores in the structure of nails and skin, tablets kill the infection from the inside. Without their use, the fungus will constantly recur and affect new areas of the epidermis.
Terbinafine tops the list of tableted antimycotics due to the fact that it has practically no contraindications, is one of the safest drugs and has a wide spectrum of action. The agent fights well with the following representatives of pathogenic microorganisms:
The composition of the tablets includes one active component – terbinafine hydrochloride, and several auxiliary:
- magnesium stearate;
- polyethylene glycol-1500;
Despite the fact that the only contraindication to the use of Terbinafine is an allergy to its components, you must take the medicine strictly according to the instructions. The treatment regimen and dosage can be seen in the table below.
Type of disease
Children (4 to 15 years old)
Adults (from 15 years)
Mycosis of the foot
120 mg 1 time per day for 2 weeks
250 mg once daily for 2–3 weeks
120 mg per day for 15 to 25 days
250 mg 2 times a day for a month
200 mg per day for a month
250 mg 2 times a day for 4-6 weeks
The data in the table are exemplary. The duration of therapy and the one-time rate of the medicine must be selected by the doctor based on the patient’s health status and degree of infection neglect. In addition, the type of pathogenic microorganisms affecting the feet and nails should be taken into account. Some varieties of mycosis are insensitive to terbinafine.
The price of packing tablets (10 pcs. 250 mg each) is 80-120 rubles.
Another remedy for foot and nail fungi of a wide spectrum of action. It fights with all types of yeast, yeast-like microorganisms, dermatophytes and candidiasis. It is prescribed for the prevention of mycoses, and with the aim of combating the infection, which is already beginning to manifest itself.
The composition of the capsules included the following substances:
Unlike Terbinafine, Rumikoz has a large list of restrictions for use:
- allergy to the components of the drug;
- children's age up to 7 years;
- pathology of the liver or kidneys;
- disruption of the cardiovascular system.
Important warning: it is forbidden to drink capsules simultaneously with:
- ergot alkaloids;
- HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors;
- agents metabolized by the cytochrome P450 3A4 enzyme;
- tablets from the group of midazoles and triazoles.
During pregnancy and lactation, a doctor's consultation is needed.
Use the drug in accordance with the type of disease:
- Onychomycosis – pulse therapy: 2 capsules 2 times a day for a week, after which a pause is made for 21 days and the course is repeated;
- Fungus skin on the legs – 200 mg once a day for 3 months (with advanced mycosis – up to six months);
- Mixed view – 200 mg 2 times a day. It will take a long time to be treated – from 3 to 8 months.
The cost of the medicine in the pharmacy is about 500 rubles (10 capsules).
This medicine is one of the cheapest, but at the same time effective ways to destroy a fungal infection in the blood, skin, keratin plates and internal organs. Griseofulvin is the main active component of the drug. He fights against mold fungi, dermatomycetes and fungi of the Candida genus. The main feature of antimycotics is the accumulation of the active substance in the cells of the skin and nails. This makes them resistant to pathogenic microflora and prevents the recurrence of the disease after the end of therapy.
The composition of the drug, in addition to the active component, included the following:
- lactose monohydrate;
- polyethylene glycol;
- magnesium stearate.
Tablets have some limitations:
- individual intolerance to griseofulvin or other components;
- leukopenia and pathology of the circulatory system;
- severe liver and kidney disease;
- lupus erythematosus (systemic);
- malignant tumors;
- lack of lactose or glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome.
You can not drink Griseofulvin along with hormonal contraceptives, estrogens and progestins, anticoagulants and drugs for the treatment of diabetes.
The medicine is taken during or after eating 1 g per day. The minimum course of therapy is 2 weeks. Maximum – until the first negative result of mycological examination.
The dose of the drug for children is calculated by weight: more than 25 kg – 10 mg per kg per day, divided by 2 times. How long the treatment of foot fungus in a small patient will last is determined by the pediatrician.
Packaging Griseofulvin (2 blisters of 10 pcs.) Will cost 70-90 rubles.
The main indication for the use of Nystatin is a gastrointestinal fungus. However, in combination with topical preparations, these tablets are able to fight mycosis of the feet and nail plates no worse than other antimycotics.
Nystatin is considered the most effective drug for the fungus, since pathogenic microflora very slowly develops resistance to the active component. In addition, the treatment of mycosis with its help lasts only 2-3 weeks.
Contraindications to the use of the drug were as follows:
- violations of the liver;
- allergy to the active component – nystatin;
- gastrointestinal ulcers;
The medication is taken 1-2 tablets 6 times a day. In severe foot mycosis, the dose increases to 3 tablets 8 times a day. The medicine can be swallowed, absorbed, or a suspension prepared:
- The tablets are crushed into powder;
- Pour a glass of water, sweet tea or a decoction of herbs;
- The medicine is drunk in one gulp.
If the dosage is exceeded, the following side effects are observed in patients:
- increased symptoms of mycosis;
- temperature increase;
- swelling of the face.
With prolonged use of Nystatin, there is a likelihood of the emergence of resistant forms of fungal infection to the active component of the drug. In this case, urgent drug withdrawal and revision of the treatment regimen are required.
The price of Nystatin is from 100 to 150 rubles for 20 tablets.
Topical antifungal drugs
Medicines for external use play no less role in the treatment of foot fungus than tablets. Their choice should be approached with special attention, since an improperly selected drug will not only not relieve the disease, but will also strengthen its symptoms and translate the ailment into a neglected form.
Miko-Stop is an aerosol intended not only for the treatment of foot and nail fungus. It is used to prevent mycosis and treat the inner surface of shoes, which accelerates the process of combating pathogenic spores and prevents their spread.
This medicine has a lot of advantages compared to other forms of topical antimycotics:
- the treatment of the foot, interdigital space and nail plates is non-contact;
- the spray normalizes the functioning of the sebaceous glands and reduces sweating of the skin – the main condition for the development of pathogenic microorganisms;
- the bottle is equipped with a dispenser that regulates the flow of medicine;
- the composition of the spray does not include caustic substances and coloring components;
- the drug relieves the symptoms of mycosis and removes an unpleasant odor.
In addition, it practically has no contraindications, except for an allergy to its components:
- undecylenamidopropyltrimonium metosulfate (active component);
- castor oil (refined);
- ethyl paraben;
- propylene glycol.
The method of applying the spray is very simple:
- It is necessary to steam the feet in slightly salted water;
- Wipe them dry;
- Shake the can of medicine and spray the contents onto the skin, nails and between the fingers.
The procedure is repeated every day 3-4 times for a month. If there are no improvements during this time, then you need to sign up to a dermatologist. He will prescribe a suitable diagnostic method that will help determine the type of fungus, and advise how best to treat it.
The cost of packaging the spray is up to 320 rubles. One spray is enough to cure the fungus on the foot on both legs.
Inexpensive, but effective antifungal cream, developed by the pharmaceutical company Sandoz (Slovenia) together with Austrian and German scientists. The drug belongs to the class of allylamines and fights the following types of pathogenic microflora:
- yeast, yeast-like, mold fungi;
In addition, Exoderil removes bacteria, germs and other parasites that affect the skin of the feet and nail plates.
The main advantage of the cream was that its active component (naphthyne hydrochloride) does not cause resistance in fungi. That is, the pathogen does not become resistant to the drug, which makes it possible to use it in the long-term therapy of mycoses.
The application scheme of the drug looks like this:
- Feet rinse in water with the addition of soda;
- Nails are trimmed and cleaned with a nail file (even if they are healthy, prevention of onychomycosis will not hurt);
- Plantar coarseness (corns and corns) are cleaned off with pumice;
- A small amount of cream is rubbed into the feet, between the fingers and into the nail plates.
The procedure is carried out 2 times a day for 1 month. This is the minimum duration of use of exoderil. If necessary, therapy is extended to 60 days.
A tube of cream weighing 15 g (1%) costs from 200 to 300 rubles.
The drug is available in the form of a transparent gel, it is odorless and does not stain clothes. The main active ingredient in its composition is terbinafine. As auxiliary components, the manufacturer adds to the medicine:
- cetyl, benzyl and cetostearyl alcohol;
- pyrogen-free water;
- isopropyl myristate;
- sodium hydroxide;
- sorbitan monostearate;
The gel is characterized as a highly effective agent that is active against the following types of fungus:
- lichens on the body;
- yeast-like pathogens.
The main indications for its use are dermatomycosis, dyshidrotic fungus, dermatophytosis and candidiasis of the mucous membranes.
The list of restrictions on the use of the drug includes:
- allergy to the composition of the gel;
- the period of breastfeeding;
- patient age up to 2 years.
Instructions for use Terbizil:
- Feet are steamed in warm water;
- The coarsened sections of the sole and nail plates are cleaned with a nail file or pumice;
- The medicine is applied in a thin layer to the prepared areas 2 times a day.
After treating the legs, you need to wrap the feet with gauze. It will protect against smearing. The bandage is removed after half an hour. During this time, the gel is completely absorbed into the skin and the keratin layer.
The duration of treatment of mycosis with Terbizil is from 2 weeks to 20 days. It is possible to extend the course of therapy, but only after passing tests and consulting with a specialist.
The cost of a gel tube is not more than 350 rubles.
Lamisil Uno – gel, which is an analogue of Terbizil, manufactured by Novartis Consumer Health (Switzerland). Terbinafine hydrochloride is also present in its composition. The difference between the two drugs is only in the set of auxiliary ingredients. Lamisil contains:
- copolymers – acrylate and octyl acrylamide;
- hydroxypropyl cellulose;
- ethyl alcohol 96%;
- mid-level triglycerides.
The principle of the gel is to destroy the structure of fungal cells by stopping the sterol biosynthesis. This leads to a lack of ergosterol and intracellular accumulation of squalene, which causes the death of pathogenic microflora.
In addition to resisting mycosis of the foot and nail plates, Lamisil forms a waterproof film on the affected tissues, which prevents high humidity and protects the skin and keratin from secondary infectious diseases. This feature of the drug makes it popular in dermatology and in demand among patients.
Contraindications to the use of the gel are the same as in Terbizil:
- individual intolerance to the composition of the drug;
- children under 2 years old.
Use the drug according to the following scheme:
- The feet are kept for 15-20 minutes in hot water, cleaned of dead tissue and wiped dry;
- The gel is applied 2 times a day to the affected areas and thoroughly rubbed (special attention is paid to the interdigital zone);
- After processing, cotton socks are put on the legs.
Treatment with Lamisil Uno lasts no more than one month. In the absence of a therapeutic effect after 30 days, the use of the gel is discontinued. This suggests that pathogenic microflora is insensitive to terbinafine hydrochloride and a change of medicine is needed.
The cost of the drug in pharmacy stalls is 300-320 rubles per tube of 4 g (1%).
A cream of a wide spectrum of action, having a lot of good reviews from doctors and their patients. Designed to treat fungus of the feet, nails, lichens of the scalp. In addition to the antimycotic effect, the drug has an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effect.
The advantages of Mikozolon include:
- minimum list of contraindications;
- approved for the treatment of children, pregnant and lactating women;
- does not have a hepatotoxic effect;
- does not enter the bloodstream;
- can be combined with other topical preparations.
The following were banned the use of the cream:
- malignant tumors or precancerous diseases of the epidermis;
- chicken pox;
The composition of the medicine:
- mazipredone hydrochloride;
- pyrogen-free water;
- propylene glycol;
- methyl parahydroxybenzoate.
The cream is applied to the cleaned feet and nail plates with a thin layer 2 times a day. With running mycosis, the number of treatments increases up to 4 times. The duration of the treatment of nail fungus is 1.5 months, infectious skin lesions – from 2 weeks to 25 days.
To enhance the effectiveness of Mykozolon, the feet after lubrication with the drug can be covered with a plastic film and gauze. The heat accumulated under the dressing will help open the pores of the epidermis and accelerate the penetration of the active components of the cream into its structure.
The price of the medicine does not exceed 250 rubles. The drug is available in aluminum tubes of 15 g.