Fungal infections of the feet are the most common dermatological problem. Almost every fifth person on the planet suffers from mycosis of the lower extremities in one form or another. It is not difficult to get rid of this ailment, the main thing is to choose the right method of treatment. Traditional medicine offers a large list of remedies for eliminating the fungus on the legs, the simplest and most effective of which is their steaming in therapeutic baths.
The use of baths for the treatment of fungus
Under the influence of hot water, keratinized layers of the skin and coarse thickened nails affected by pathogenic microflora soften. The pores of the epidermis and keratin layer open, so that the active components of antifungal drugs penetrate them more easily.
But the baths are not only used to prepare the feet for drug treatment. At the initial stages of the disease, when the first symptoms of mycosis only appeared, this procedure is quite capable of independently managing pathogens. In advanced cases, if a large area of the nail plate or foot is affected by the fungus, medication cannot be dispensed with.
In addition, therapeutic solutions for steaming the feet based on soda, vinegar and other products help eliminate burning sensation, pain, inflammation and unpleasant odors.
In order for the treatment to give the desired result, you need to adhere to some recommendations:
- The first thing you should pay attention to is the temperature of the bath. Water should be hot, otherwise the procedure will not bring any effect. There should be no discomfort. The optimum temperature is individual – about 40-45 degrees Celsius. It must be maintained throughout the time while the legs are in solution;
- The next most important factor is time. Adults should take a bath for at least 15 minutes, children – about 5. Some recipes indicate a time of 30-40 minutes or more. This is an exception. It all depends on the components included in the solution for steaming, and their concentration;
- After the procedure, feet should be wiped with a towel and softened, keratinized tissue particles should be removed. The feet are treated with a pedicure file or pumice, the nails are trimmed, and their upper loosened layer is removed;
- For the treatment of skin and keratin plates, it is recommended to use disposable tools, individual towels. Metal nippers or scissors need to be calcined over a fire. Their use on healthy areas of the skin and nails is not allowed;
- To increase the effectiveness of the procedure, it is not recommended to rinse the treatment solution. You just need to wipe your feet dry.
For the preparation of mixtures for the treatment of skin fungus or onychomycosis, various products and pharmacy products that have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antimycotic properties are suitable. They can be found in almost every home or bought for a penny.
Ordinary baking soda is well suited to eliminate fungus and soften keratinized layers of the skin, nails. Pathogenic microflora quickly multiplies in a neutral acid-base environment of the epidermis, therefore, its decrease or increase leads to inhibition of the vital activity of the infection.
Also, soda removes the symptoms of the fungus – inflammation, itching, peeling, swelling. With regular procedures, the patient feels much better, and the disease gradually recedes.
Recipes for making baths with soda:
- Pour hot water into the basin about 3 liters. Dissolve in it 4 tbsp. l soda and soar feet for 30 minutes. After that, wipe dry, treat the skin with pedicure tools;
- 5 tablespoons are added to the steaming solution. l sodium bicarbonate and 1 tbsp. l liquid soap or household shavings. Everything mixes well until dissolved. Feet soar for 30-40 minutes. Soapy soda bath helps to remove impurities, soften the upper layers of the dermis and prepare them for the application of antifungal drugs;
- In a small container, mix 1 liter of hot water, 0.5 cups of soda, 50-60 ml of table vinegar and Epsom salt. In the mixture, omit only those parts of the foot that are affected by the infection for 15-20 minutes;
- Increased sweating of the legs often causes the appearance of the fungus and interferes with full treatment. To get rid of this problem, it is recommended to do the following procedure: mix 1 liter of decoction of oak bark, which is rich in tannins that reduce sweating, from 40-50 g of baking soda, 2 drops of peppermint oil extract and 10 – tea tree oil. Dilute this mixture in 3 liters of hot water. Lower the feet in the bath for half an hour. Daily steaming of the feet for two weeks will help get rid of infection and bad smell.
The acidic environment creates the conditions under which the pathogen ceases to develop normally, multiply and gradually dies. For the preparation of medicinal mixtures, table, wine, apple vinegar and even their essence are suitable. Such solutions are safe for children and adults, it is only necessary to observe proportions so as not to get a chemical burn.
Recipes for antifungal baths with vinegar:
- A glass of olive or sunflower oil and as much table vinegar mix well. The mixture is heated in a water bath to 45 degrees and poured into 2 lira of warm water. Only affected areas are placed in it for 15 minutes. This procedure is carried out once every two days for a month;
- A good result in the fight against fungus is shown by a mixture of potassium permanganate with vinegar. In 50 ml of acid, several crystals of potassium permanganate are added and dissolved to a bright pink color. This mixture is poured into a basin with water to get a light solution. Feet soar for 10-15 minutes, after which tea tree oil is applied to the affected areas. Such a bath disinfects the surface of the feet, kills the infection;
- For the treatment of onychomycosis (a constant companion of skin fungus on the legs), 1 tsp is mixed in a small container. alcohol solution of iodine and vinegar essence, after which it is all filled with 0.5 liters of hot water. Only sore fingers fall into the solution. This mixture is recommended for use with fungal infections of the nails on the hands.
Plant extracts often help in the home treatment of the fungus. Some of them are additionally endowed with deodorizing, bactericidal, anti-inflammatory and regenerative properties. This is an important factor in the complex treatment of mycosis not only on the legs, but also on other parts of the body.
Preparation of steaming solutions for nail and foot fungus:
- Celandine is a poisonous plant, but it perfectly treats skin infections. 50-60 g of dry grass, which is sold in a pharmacy or procured independently, must be boiled in 0.5 liter of water. Cool, strain, discard the cake and add to the tank for steaming with 2 liters of boiling water. The procedure takes 30 minutes. To increase the effectiveness of the treatment, fresh juice of the plant diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 3 is applied to the affected areas;
- Collection of calendula and chamomile will help soothe inflamed skin, relieve itching, slow down the development of the fungus. According to 1 tbsp. l pour herbs in a glass of boiling water and leave for 1 hour. After straining, pour into a basin with water. Feet soar for half an hour every night before bedtime for 2 weeks;
- 1 tsp birch tar is added to 2 liters of boiling water, well dissolved. Lower the feet for 30 minutes. You can also replace natural raw materials with a soap solution prepared from 2 tbsp. l chips of tar soap. The smell of such a mixture is very unpleasant and persistent, so it is better to carry out the procedure on the balcony or in a well-ventilated room.
This antiseptic drug is often used in the treatment of onychomycosis as an adjuvant. It does not allow the fungus to spread to healthy tissue sites, prevents the attachment of a secondary infection, relieves inflammation, softens the keratinized layers.
For the treatment of toenails, the following recipe is suitable:
- In equal proportions, mix water and 3% peroxide in a small container. Only fingers should be lowered into it for 20-30 minutes;
- Wipe dry, cut off the overgrown edge of the nail and cut off the upper softened layer;
- Rinse again with the same solution, dry and apply antifungal agents to the plate.
Other methods of preparing foot baths for fungus
Traditional medicine offers several more effective options for preparing solutions for steaming the feet with a fungus:
- In 1 liter of water add 1 tsp. vitriol, mix until dissolved. Store the concentrate in a cool place. Immediately before steaming, connect 1 tbsp. l ready-made solution with 1.5-2 liters of hot water. Soar feet for 15 minutes;
- Mix 1 tbsp. l pour sea salt and baking soda into 3 liters of water. Steam the legs for 30 minutes;
- 2 tbsp. l add ammonia to 2 liters of boiling water, wait for cooling to a comfortable temperature and keep your feet in it for 5-10 minutes;
- In a container with 2 liters of water, 1 tsp is mixed. iodine or fucorcin. Steaming occurs within 15 minutes. These drugs have antifungal, drying and bactericidal properties;
- In 2 liters of water, dilute 100 g of magnesium sulfate powder. Keep feet in this mixture for 15 minutes. This recipe helps to soften and remove the keratinized layer of the epithelium, remove all contaminants from the pores, heal small cracks, ulcers, wounds. Magnesium sulfate is also used as a scrub to remove dead cells. After the bath, the feet and nails are rubbed thoroughly with dry powder until the dead layer is removed;
- In 1 liter of water mix the lemon juice, 1 tbsp. l baking soda and sea salt. Steam in such a solution of the legs for 30 minutes.
Valeria, 28 years old.
A month ago, I noticed a suspicious peeling on the foot and between the toes. After visiting a dermatologist, it turned out that this is a fungus. Before applying ointments, I did baths with soda every day, pumice removed dead skin. Two weeks later, itching and burning disappeared. She underwent a second examination a month later, as the doctor prescribed, it turned out that there was no trace of the disease.
Michael, 41 years old.
He cured nail fungus with iodine. The lesion area was small, so I decided to wait a while with potent drugs and try folk remedies. First, he steamed his legs in saline, peeled off a peeled plate, partially sawed off and applied iodine two times a day. A month later, a new, healthy nail began to grow.
Anna, 31 years old.
During the treatment of foot fungus, I went to hydrogen sulfide baths. This greatly accelerated the healing process. In addition, every day before going to bed, I steamed my legs in a vinegar solution. After which I applied ointment.