Onychomycosis and skin fungus are contagious diseases that are difficult to treat. They are more often affected by people with weakened immunity, chronic pathologies of internal organs. To cure the infection, it is not necessary to resort to the help of expensive drugs. At the initial stage, an old, proven remedy – Iodinol will help to cope with the disease. It has antiseptic and fungicidal effects, has a detrimental effect on gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, fungi. It also prevents the spread of infection to healthy nails and surrounding skin.
The composition and properties of the drug
Iodinol is an aqueous solution of blue with a sharp specific odor. It includes crystalline iodine and potassium iodide. An auxiliary substance is polyvinyl alcohol, which softens the aggressive properties of iodine.
The drug has an antiseptic effect and is used for inflammatory and purulent processes on the skin. Kills streptococcal, fungal flora and E. coli. Less active in relation to Staphylococcus aureus.
After application to the nail or skin, the drug is absorbed very quickly, penetrating into the deeper layers of tissues.
Indications for use
This iodine-containing remedy is used in medicine quite often. With its help, various diseases of the skin, mucous membranes are treated, used as a means for the prophylactic treatment of wounds.
The main list of indications for the use of Iodinol:
- stomatitis treatment;
- healing of skin burns, thermal or chemical;
- purulent diseases of the ear;
- inflammatory processes in the nasopharynx, accompanied by the formation of pus;
- preventive and therapeutic treatment of postoperative sutures.
With the fungus of the nails on the legs and arms, as well as the skin of the feet and other parts of the body, Iodinol should be used carefully, since it has several limitations on the use:
- Thyrotoxicosis is a thyroid disease in which iodine preparations are strictly contraindicated;
- Children under 5 years old;
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding. Only a doctor will be able to assess the real need for treatment during this period and prescribe iodine preparations to the patient, taking into account possible risks;
- Individual hypersensitivity to the substances that make up Iodinol;
- Kidney disease
- Dermatitis Dühring.
Subject to all recommendations for the use of the drug solution, adverse reactions rarely occur.
However, if the instructions and advice of doctors are ignored, the patient may experience:
- allergic rash;
- increased sweating;
- destruction of the nail plate;
- irritation of the skin;
- redness, itching.
To avoid the undesirable consequences of self-medication, you need to check yourself in advance for sensitivity to the drug. To do this, at first, Iodinol should be used in small concentrations, avoiding applying the solution to large areas of the skin. If no signs of allergy are noticed, you can proceed to the full treatment.
In case of observation of the above symptoms, it is necessary to abandon the use of the drug and consult a doctor who will choose another effective treatment.
Instructions for use for nail and foot fungus
There are many ways to use Iodinol from a fungus of different localization and degree of development. Listed below are the best ones.
It's no secret that an important component in the treatment of fungal infections of the nails and skin on the feet is steaming. This procedure helps to get rid of the keratinized layers of the epidermis, softens the plate, prepares it for further processing, facilitates the access of medicinal substances to the deep layers, in which the mycelium of pathogenic microflora is located.
To prepare a solution for foot baths, you will need a container in which feet, 2-3 liters of hot water, a clean towel or disposable paper napkins are easily placed.
The liquid is heated to a comfortable temperature so that the feet are not hot. Within 20-30 minutes, the feet are steamed, after which it is necessary to prepare the affected surfaces for the application of therapeutic compounds.
To do this, you will need to perform the following phased steps:
- After taking a bath, wipe your feet with a napkin;
- Pumice to remove rough skin;
- Scissors carefully cut off exfoliated sections of the nail plate;
- Use a disposable file to remove a soft, loose layer of keratin;
- Rinse the legs again and wipe them dry or allow them to dry on their own.
To prepare a healing bath for nail and foot fungus, you need to pour 2 liters of hot water into the basin and add 5-10 drops of Iodinol, the liquid will turn blue. After that, it is necessary to dip the diseased limbs into the solution. The procedure is carried out for 20-30 minutes. It is advisable to maintain the water temperature at the same level all this time.
Combination solutions show good results in the fight against fungus, in which, in addition to Iodinol, other excipients are added:
- Laundry or tar soap, grated on a fine grater, helps to dry the infected areas, enhances the effect of the antifungal bath;
- Tea tree oil allows Iodinol to quickly cope with the pathogen of the fungus due to its bactericidal and antimycotic effect;
- Baking soda is added to the solution at the rate of 1 tbsp. l per 1 liter of water. It softens the skin and nail plate, cleanses of impurities, inhibits pathogenic microflora;
- Herbal decoctions. Celandine, wormwood, calendula – these medicinal plants help to defeat the fungus quickly and effectively. They will supplement the beneficial properties of the drug, have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and healing effects. Herbs must be brewed according to the recipe in the instructions attached to the packaging of raw materials.
High effectiveness in the fight against onychomycosis has compresses. For their preparation, it is necessary to prepare in advance a small piece of oilcloth, a medical patch and a cotton pad according to the size of the infected nail. After steaming and processing with manicure tools, cotton wool soaked with Iodinol is applied to the diseased plate. Next, you need to cover the nail with a film to create a greenhouse effect and prevent the evaporation of nutrients. The compress is fixed on the finger with a band-aid. It must be changed twice a day – in the morning and at night.
After 5 days of carrying out such procedures, you need to take a break for 7 days to avoid burns. Later, the treatment is repeated, and so on until complete recovery.
Iodinol from the fungus is also used as an ointment, prepared independently. To do this, you need to take ground celandine, which is sold in a pharmacy. It is mixed with “blue” iodine until a thick slurry is obtained. This mixture is rubbed into the affected areas twice a day after steaming and removing the upper layer of skin or nail. After five days of treatment, a break is taken for 5-7 days.
The easiest way to get rid of the fungus is to smear the sore spots with pure Iodinol. This must be done 3-4 times a day in conjunction with therapeutic baths. This method will allow you to recover quickly enough, but can cause dryness and chemical burns to the skin.
Vinegar will help strengthen the antifungal effect of the drug. For this, “blue” iodine is mixed in equal proportions with apple essence. The mixture is daily applied to the affected areas with a cotton swab. An acidic environment will destroy the spores, and an antiseptic solution will kill the mycelium of the fungus.
The pharmacy sells other medicines with similar composition or properties. They are also used to treat fungal infections and other skin diseases, but less frequently than iodinol.
- Alcohol solution of iodine. It has the same properties, only has a more aggressive effect. Its concentration in homemade products should be less than half. Price – 30-50 rubles;
- Iodonate. An iodine-based antiseptic that has a detrimental effect on many pathogenic microorganisms, including fungi. Cost – about 70 rubles;
- Lugol's solution. It has a local antibacterial, fungicidal and disinfecting effect. Price – 70-80 rubles;
- Sodium iodide. A powder that must be diluted in water or alcohol to the desired concentration before use. It has high bactericidal properties. It costs from 30 to 50 rubles.
Michael, 49 years old.
I have long noticed adverse changes in the nail on the thumb, but I pulled for a long time and did not go to the hospital. When the plate became very thick, and the skin turned red around, I decided that it was time to be treated. He went to the doctor, he immediately prescribed tests, after which he prescribed a prescription for antifungal drugs in the form of tablets and ointments.
He also recommended steaming the nail and applying Iodinol on it to speed up the treatment and relieve inflammation. After daily procedures, the diseased keratin layer is completely gone. Just in case, he continued to lubricate the nail bed with a solution once a day, until he grew a new one.
Maria, 35 years old.
Six months ago, I encountered the appearance of a fungus on the nail of my right foot. On the Internet I found information about Iodinol. He helped me a lot. Symptoms disappeared in the first week. I had to wait longer until the old nail fell off and a new one began to grow. At the same time, I continued to apply the solution, only already diluted it with alcohol, so as not to burn the delicate skin. Now I always keep this simple tool in the medicine cabinet, just in case.
Inga, 28 years old.
I treated the fungus on the foot with Iodinol for quite some time. I just smeared them with painful areas 3 times a day, and at night I steamed my legs in hot water, adding a few drops. The disease went away in 3 months. Redness and peeling for a long time haunted me. After completing the course of therapy, she continued to use the drug for prophylaxis for another 5-7 days.